Having the best talent in your business is key to its success. Whatever your business, if you don’t have the right people in the right roles, you may find achieving success difficult.
If you do hire the wrong person, the cost can be great. Of course there’s the financial cost of replacing people through the usual channels i.e. recruiter fees or advertising costs. It could also result in decreased productivity, decreased employee morale, not to mention the cost of management time and potentially, damage to your employer brand.
By introducing a sound recruitment process you stand a much better chance of hiring the people your business needs.
Our top tips for recruiting the right people
- Make sure you have an up to date job description outlining the responsibilities of the role you need to fill, and what skills and experience needed.
- Use the job description to shortlist applicants for interview by identifying relevant experience and skills.
- Use the job description to create themes you would like explore at interview.
- Prepare some welcoming questions, to put the candidate at ease, and smile!
- Use the candidate’s CV to create questions in the themes you have identified.
- Consider and prepare some probing questions to follow up.
- Keep the questions on point, and avoid asking any personal questions. ‘Getting personal’ can potentially get you in to a world of trouble, so just avoid those questions altogether.
- Interview in pairs, so you can really listen to the candidate and develop a rapport without worrying about taking notes, and agree with your interview partner who will ask which question in advance.
- Allow time for the candidate to ask you questions, and think about how best you can ensure you’re presenting an attractive and authentic impression of the company.
- Make sure you take notes of the actual answers given, rather than your thoughts or feelings about the candidate’s answer.
Nothing is guaranteed when it comes to interviewing and selecting the right person, but by adopting this approach you stand a better chance of recruiting someone who can actually do the job you need filled, and do it well.
If you would like help with your recruitment processes, please do get in touch with Helpful HR